What follows is an exhaustive list of new topics for TOEFL Speaking Question 1 and 2.
Note: This is a list with CURRENT (2015) prompt styles.
Many lists you find online have example prompts, but the majority of them are from 5 or 6 years ago.
If you want to get the best results for Speaking Question 1 and 2, practice with these prompts:
Opinion on a Social Controversy
- Should parents buy cell phones for their children?
- Are robots more intelligent than humans? Give reasons and details to support your response
- Do you agree or disagree that parents should use physical punishment when disciplining their children?
- Do you think that parents should be allowed to educate their children at home, or should they be required to send children to school outside the home? Support your answer.
- Should parents read the text messages of their children? Support your answer with reasons and examples.
- Should parents let their children participate in extreme sports?
- Should college students be required to take at least one class in history? Explain your answer.
- Should countries intervene in a genocide in another country where a lot of civilians might be killed? Explain your answer.
- Should schoolchildren be required to study the arts for at least a year? Explain your answer.
- Some people prefer to listen to classical music, while others do not like it. Which do you prefer and why?
- Your friend has enough money to buy either a smartphone or laptop, but not both. What do you recommend he do and why?
- Your friend is trying to decide whether to attend a college close to home or six hours away from home. What do you recommend and why?
- Your friend wants to start a new hobby but can’t spend any money. What would you recommend and why?
- Your friend arrives late to his class because he prefers to sleep. His teacher told him that this could affect his grades. What advice would you give to your friend and why?
- Your friend wants to begin a new exercise program but he doesn’t know what to do. What would you recommend and why?
- Your friend wants a pet but refuses to purchase a cat or dog. What do you recommend he get and why?
- Your friend is studying chemistry and is required to take a non-science course. What course would you recommend she take and why?
- Your friend needs to purchase a car but isn’t sure whether to purchase new or used. What advice would you give?
- Your friend needs to choose a degree path in college. What advice would you give?
- Your friend wants to visit a new country. What country do you recommend and why?
- Your friend is traveling to a new country for University. What advice would you give her and why?
The 3-Option Prompt
- If you get a chance to volunteer for work, which type of work would you prefer: (1) Guide at University (2) Reading a book for young children (3) Social Work with the homeless
- What kind of student activities do you prefer? (1) Tutoring other students (2) Participating in a club or sport (3) Leading a student organization
- What would you prefer? (1) To work as a guide in the museum (2) To lead walking tours around your city (3) To lead a hike through the forest
- You’ve decided to take a class on the weekend and there are three options: (1) take a woodshop class; (2) a Spanish language class; (3) an art class for theatre. Which would you prefer? Why?
- You need to choose a school for a young relative, and you have three options: (1) a public, government-run school; (2) a private school; and (3) home schooling. Which option would you choose and why?
- Would you prefer to live (1) in a big city; (2) in a suburb or (3) in the countryside. Explain your answer.
- Which of the following would you rather have as a pet? (1) a cat; (2) a monkey; (3) a parrot. Why?
- Given the choice, which of the following topics would you most like to take a class in and why? (1) programming; (2) foreign language; (3) creative writing.
- Your university has opened study abroad programs in three different countries. Which would you choose and why? (1) Argentina; (2) Finland; (3) Japan.
- Which of the following cities would you most like to visit and why? (1) Moscow in Russia; (2) New Delhi in India; (3) Rome in Italy.
- Describe the annual day in your country when you give friends and family special gifts.
- If you had a chance to change your society for the better, what would you change and why?
- You are going out to eat with your friends in New York City and you can eat any type of world cuisine. Which cuisine would you prefer to eat and why?
- If you had to eliminate any custom from your country, which one would you eliminate and why?
- Where would you like to spend your weekends? Describe this place and talk about why you enjoy this place.
- Do you agree or disagree that kids prefer to do activities outside instead of reading books?
- You’re going to purchase an expensive item. Do you prefer to borrow money? Or save money, and then purchase the item?
- Do you agree or disagree that it is a good idea to rent a house with one of your best friends?
- What is ONE difference between your country and every other country?
- What is the best age to learn a language?
- The University has decided to reduce the summer break and give the students small breaks during the semester. Do you agree or disagree with this?
- If your friend broke a leg, how would you help him/her at University?
- Do you prefer to watch movies alone or with friends? Give reasons and support your answer.
- Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: In order to be happy, people must love their jobs.
For even MORE practice questions check out BestMyTest
“If you’re interested in talking with the TOEFL Speaking Teacher about how to improve your TOEFL Speaking score, then sign up for a 30 minute TOEFL Speaking Evaluation by Clicking here.”