In my six guides to mastering the TOEFL Speaking section, I offer timing recommendations for each question.
But I thought it might be a really good idea to have ALL the timing recommendations in one, easily accessible and understandable resource.
So here are all the timing recommendations for Questions 3 through 6
- Give intro sentence referring to the announcement: 15 seconds maximum to explain announcement
- Talk about speaker reasons: 35-40 seconds
- Optional conclusion: 7-15 seconds
- 8-15 seconds: Describing new concept and giving the definition
- Transition to lecture: 5 seconds
- First thing from Professor’s lecture – 15 -20 seconds
- Second thing from Professor’s lecture – 15 -20 seconds
- First 10 seconds: Discuss the problem
- Second 20 seconds: What are the two solutions
- At about 30 seconds, change to talk about your opinion
- Introduce concept and definition (must come from lecture): 15-20 seconds
- Explain first thing: 20 seconds
- Explain second thing: 20 seconds
(REMEMBER: Focus on certain parts of your notes – be sure to look at the prompt before you answer)
For more help on questions 1 through 6, be sure to refer to my MASTER Guides.
Here they are:
“If you’re interested in talking with the TOEFL Speaking Teacher about how to improve your TOEFL Speaking score, then sign up for a 30 minute TOEFL Speaking Evaluation by Clicking here.”